Types of Programs
Our programs are designed to serve youth by providing them with safe, quality mentoring relationships that help them reach their full potential by:
- improving their sense of self and community;
- achieving a greater sense and awareness of their future; and
- improving their school performance.
We serve youth through these core programs:
Big Brothers Big Sisters of America's mentoring program is nationally recognized and proven to be effective:
- The Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence at University of Colorado at Boulder recognizes Big Brothers Big Sisters as a "Blueprint" program with proven results.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and the National Dropout Prevention Center both recognize Big Brothers Big Sisters as a "model program."
- The Center for Substance Abuse Prevention designated Big Brothers Big Sisters program a "Best Practice."
- The Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention rated Big Brothers Big Sisters as "effective."
- The Children's Defense Fund states that mentoring through Big Brothers Big Sisters has been "proven successful" in prevention activities.
- Forbes chose Big Brothers Big Sisters as one of its "top ten" most effective and well-run non-profit organizations in the United States.
As a result of participation, our Little Brothers and Little Sisters:
- Have better attitudes towards school,
- Get along better with adults and peers,
- Have better self-esteem, and
- Have a better sense of their future.
CLICK HERE to view a letter from one of our Littles